25 Book Reviews

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Turning up the heat on COLD cases!!!

     "Traces of Guilt"
An Evie Blackwell Cold Case

          By Dee Henderson

Synopsis:

Evie Blackwell loves her life as an Illinois State Police detective . . . mostly. She's very skilled at investigations and has steadily moved up through the ranks. She would like to find Mr. Right, but she has a hard time imagining how marriage could work, considering the demands of her job. 

Gabriel Thane is a lifetime resident of Carin County and now its sheriff, a job he loves. Gabe is committed to upholding the law and cares deeply for the residents he's sworn to protect. He too would like to find a lifetime companion, a marriage like his parents have.

When Evie arrives in Carin, Illinois, it's to help launch a new task force dedicated to reexamining unsolved crimes across the state. Spearheading this trial run, Evie will work with the sheriff's department on a couple of its most troubling missing-persons cases. As she reexamines old evidence to pull out a few tenuous new leads, she unearths a surprising connection . . . possibly to a third cold case. Evie's  determined to solve the cases before she leaves Carin County, and Sheriff Thane, along with his family, will be key to those answers.

My Thoughts:

Dee Henderson writes in a unique style, immediately drawing the reader into the story with the main characters, Gabriel and Evie. They are characters with whom you easily identify, realistic and well described, making you travel their mysterious, frightening path alongside them . Their fears caused me to tremble and sit on the edge of my seat, as I wondered what twist or turn would next occur!  The plot is full of nail biting events, resulting in keeping me up long after bedtime. The two cold cases grabbed my attention and kept me immersed in this dark world from the beginning of this book, until the last page.

 I have to admit that this author has not always been one of my favorites, however, this book made me rethink my opinions. The plot in this book moved slowly but steadily with just enough surprises to keep my attention. I spent much of my reading time attempting to figure out these mysteries, but had little success. Dee succeeded in shocking me with unexpected outcomes.

I highly recommend this book to those who love mysteries. This one will keep you thinking from the first page to the last. 


This book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and is now available at your local booksellers. The opinions expressed are honest and my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...