25 Book Reviews

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Far Beyond Reason

          "Purgatory Road"
           By Samuel Parker

Synopsis:

When a day trip out of Las Vegas with his wife takes a turn for the worse, Jack is sure that he has the ability to get them home. But he drove into something far beyond reason.

Rescue comes in the form of a desert hermit, but hope fades as the couple comes to realize that the nomad has no intention of letting them leave. A chance encounter with a kidnapped runaway and her crazed abductor leads them all farther into the wilderness--and closer to the cold brutality that isolation brings.

At the edge of his sanity, Jack begins to learn that playing by another's rules may be the only way to survive.

In a voice that is as hypnotizing as a desert mirage, debut novelist Samuel Parker entices readers down a dangerous road, where the forces of good and evil are as crushing as the Mojave heat. This is suspense in its purest, most unfiltered form.

My Thoughts:

When first picking up this book, I must admit that I was a bit puzzled. It is classed as  Christian fiction, however, as I read, I was somewhat confused. There were no mention of such things in the story. 

The plot was very different from usual. It moved steadily , however, I wasn't sure where it was going! I did not immediately dislike the novel but I can't say that I loved it!! The author used his unique talents to write a gripping tale of what life would be like if we always take things for granted thus becoming totally unaware and of the needs of those around us. 

The characters were well developed but I had difficulty identifying with any of them. Jack, one of the main characters does not appear to love or care about his wife any more. Until he goes through terrifying situations, he lacks the knowledge of how much he really needs her. Only in the worse trials that you can imagine, does he realize that he needs to make changes in his life. Boots , the hermit , is very well described, so that I could easily picture him in my mind. He was present to help in his own particular fashion. Seth appeared to be the little push of Satan, that resides on your shoulder, directing people down the wrong path. 

As I completed reading the last chapter, the feeling arose that the book was not finished. It was an entertaining read and at times violent but puzzling. 
It appears that it does have a sequel , so I expect I was to be left with questions. Not a book that I would choose to read again but then again,  I can't say that I didn't enjoy parts of it.


This book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and is now available at your local booksellers. The opinions expressed are honest and my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...