25 Book Reviews

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

What Could Be Better Than Four Amish Novellas By Favorite Author, Beth Wiseman?!

            "An Amish Year"
            By Beth Wiseman

Synopsis:


Spend a year in Amish country with four sweet romances.
Rooted in Love (previously published in An Amish Garden)
Rosemary Lantz is doing her best to run her family’s household. She excels at all her tasks except one: gardening. Saul Petersheim has pursued Rosemary for years, but Rosemary keeps turning him down. What Saul doesn’t know is that she has good reason—something no one can know—especially not him.
A Love for Irma Rose
The year is 1957, and young Irma Rose has a choice to make. Date the man who is “right” for her? Or give Jonas a chance, the wild and reckless suitor who refuses to take no for an answer?  Irma Rose steps onto the path she believes God has planned for her, but when she loses her footing, she is forced to rethink her choice.   
Patchwork Perfect
Eli Byler has been a widower for two years when he chooses to make a fresh start in Paradise, Pennsylvania. As Eli juggles the admiration of two women, he meets Miriam Fisher—the most unconventional Amish woman he’s ever met. She doesn’t fit the mold for what Eli is looking for, but it isn’t long before Eli realizes that Miriam is everything he wants. But Miriam has no plans to get married—ever.  Will Eli be able to change her mind?
When Christmas Comes Again (previously published in An Amish Second Christmas)
Katherine knows the first Christmas without Elias will be hard for her and the children. But when a mysterious Englischer appears with photographs of her late husband, Katherine begins to wonder what other blessings Christmas could have in store.

My Thoughts:

I must admit that when I hear that a new Beth Wiseman book is going to  be released, I feel great anticipation and have the expectation that this book will be the best yet!!  I am NEVER disappointed! This collection of novellas was certainly no exception. It met every one of my criteria for a well written book! Although, novellas are not my favorites, as they seem too short and don't  satisfy my yearning for a complete story, Beth managed to create one that was so full of hope, love and faith that the stories engaged me from beginning to end. The Amish recipes that are added, are just the icing on the cake!

The characters are so realistically described that you easily identify with them and live their trials, challenges and joys right along side them. Beth uses her unique talent of inserting little quirky, humorous qualities into these folks that make them appealing to all readers. When you start to give them advice, you realize that the story must be exceptionally well written!!  

The plots are full of unexpected twists and turns that keep a reader intrigued  until the last page is read. I must admit that I still wanted each story to keep going! That is evidence that this is ONE GREAT READ!  As the novellas moved through the seasons, each one flowed smoothly into the next. 

My favorite one, if I had to choose , would be "A Love For Irma Rose, as she was a character in a previous Beth Wiseman book. She had become a near and dear friend to me and I had wanted to know more about her. This short story met my need to find out .

Beth Wiseman is a talented author who continues to surprise us with very different, unique books in the Amish fiction genre. Magnificent books exemplifying her talent in leaving within us , feelings of love, hope and peace.

This book was supplied by the author, in exchange for a fair and honest review.




2 comments:

  1. I bought this book in Lancaster yesterday and left it on my seat in a restaurant :( Went back for it and it was gone. I am so bummed :( Of course, no one turned it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no,! I wish you lived closer. I would lend you my copy !!

    ReplyDelete

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...