25 Book Reviews

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Charlotte Hubbard Writes Another Awesome Book!

   "A Simple Wish"
By Charlotte Hubbard

Synopsis:

The Amish residents of Willow Ridge share their talents at the Simple Gifts crafts shop—and share the blessings of faith, hard work, and love with their community—even when family secrets bring unexpected challenges . . .

Making rugs for Simple Gifts has taught Loretta Riehl that an unassuming pattern can reveal surprising depth. People, too, have a way of defying first impressions. Drew Detweiler came to Willow Ridge under a cloud, but the handsome craftsman has gained the community’s respect for his upholstery skills and commitment to making amends for his mistakes. As her new brother-in-law’s twin, he’s joining the family for dinners and Sunday visits at the Riehl house, and Loretta can’t deny enjoying his attentions.

If only her dat were willing to let a little joy into his life. Cornelius Riehl grows more stern with each passing day, and Drew suspects there’s more to his moods than missing Loretta’s late mamm. Hoping to fulfill Loretta’s wish to live in a peaceful, happy home again, Drew sets out to learn the truth. It’s a journey that will bring to light painful realities—but also the chance to forge a new, honest, and loving future together…


My Thoughts:

This author has become one of my favourites when it comes to the Amish fiction genre. Every book is unique and goes far beyond the ordinary stereotype of what we normally think of in this genre. Charlotte always manages to tackle sensitive subjects, (those not usually dealt with when writing of the Plain People), with understanding and grace. 

 This book is the second in the Simple Gift series. It can be read as a stand alone and enjoyed as such, however, I found that after having read the first, this novel was like coming home to visit my friends, Loretta and Drew. The familiarity with the setting and characters spurred me on!! I was immediately caught up in their lives and could not put this book down !!

The characters are so vividly and realistically described that the reader can feel their every hurt, challenge, worry, joy! I must say that Cornelius is one character that actually scared me! I worried constantly about what this stern rather mean individual would do next to his poor daughters. The story comes to life as the characters are developed and I quickly identified with them. Would Cornelius ever allow his dear daughters to find the happiness that they deserve??  Loretta is such a strong , young lady! But, is she able to withstand the negative pressures put upon her by her father?? A developing romance finds huge roadblocks at every move. 

The plot is extremely well developed with twists and turns when you least expect them. Drew uncovers dramatic secrets that shocked me to the core, as they did  his daughters. The road to romance was a true roller coaster ride with many more dips than hills. The mystery and intense drama in this novel kept me glued to the page. 

Charlotte Hubbard, you did it again!! You kept me up long after my bedtime  reading this fabulous book!!! Definitely a five star book!!

I am anxiously awaiting the next book that this author creates!!

I received this book as a gift. The thoughts and opinions expressed are honest and my own.







1 comment:

  1. Karla, thanks so much for your wonderful review, and for featuring my book on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...