25 Book Reviews

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beverly Lewis continues her Home to Hickory Hollow Series

"The Bridesmaid"
By Beverly Lewis

Beverley Lewis, the author who started the whole exciting trend of the genre of Amish fiction, is continuing to share her talent in the writing of a new series. The first book, "The Fiddler" grabbed my attention and I could not put that book down. I loved the plot, the characters and the meaning that came through the entire book.
This second book, "The Bridesmaid", although still written in her unique style, and a good story, did not quite appeal to me quite as much. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the story, as my husband could attest to that fact, as supper was late, I didn't always hear what he said to me.... LOL.

It probably would appeal to others in a greater sense, however , somehow it did not quite satisfy me. I loved it, but just not quite in the same way as The Fiddler.

The characters are well developed and I did feel for Joanna, who was always a bridesmaid, never a bride, as her friends liked to remind her. That was my life for many years , so I felt empathy for her and her desires. Then entering the scene was Eben who hopes to make Joanna his bride, if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana and move to Lancaster.  His hopes and desires all hinge on his brother who has gone off to the Englischer's world and is now married. Joanna could join Eben there, but would she????? Will he ever get away from the farm???

We are kept in some suspense throughout the story, as we wonder whether these two people will stop and listen to God and follow His plan for their life.  
All in all, it is a extremely well written book.
Definitely worth the read!!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Fantastic Read by One of My Favorite Authors, Vannetta Chapman!

An Amish Proposal for Christmas  By Vannetta Chapman Synopsis: Her deepest Christmas wish will bring more than she imagined…in this novel by...